Randy Granger

Randy Granger
In the Chihuahuan Desert near the Organ Mountains, New Mexico

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Who is listening?


Greetings friends. I hope summer finds you all well and in good spirits. Me, I'm working very diligently on my new album. I'm writing the songs, laying the tracks, asking in a guest musician or two and designing the artwork all simultaneously. It has me thinking about who is listening. Who is the music for? Who will hear it? Will anyone listen to the nuances and micro decisions each song's story tells? Recently while playing at Hospice I was slowly walking up and down the hallways so my flute would resonate in each room. It was quiet less the sounds of beeps and occasional TV sets broadcasting daytime shows. As I was packing up my gear to leave I feel a touch on my shoulder and a small woman says, "Thank you so much for being here. You might think no one is listening but every time you come my husband's face is so relaxed the whole time and his breathing is so peaceful." This stuck with me for days. That Saturday I went Busking at our Farmer's Market and the cacophony there is overwhelming especially now that so many hollering groups are there now. They play somewhere between Hillbilly music and a warped bluegrass. I love good Appalachian and Bluegrass don't get me wrong. It is tough to be heard on my Native American flutes and Pan instruments, almost impossible. The vendors have begun to complain they can't even do business when those groups are there.

So I was Busking away and between songs a vendor came up to me with a dollar bill. She put it in my case and began to walk away then turned around suddenly. She said, "I'm sorry, I was going to compliment you but I started to cry. When you played Amazing Grace I thought of my mother who passed away recently. It was so moving and I wanted to thank you." Another woman in one of those motorized wheelchairs rigs came zooming right at me pretty fast. I thought oh no I've pissed someone off. But she waited until I finished and said, "I wanted to tell you I've been up and down this entire market and asked someone where that flute music was coming from and they pointed to you. I had to come back and tell you you are the best music I've heard all morning. Thank you." She put a buck in. Woo hoo big bucks. haha. I'm kidding but what these two people reminded me that in fact, someone is always listening. Thus is the power of the music we make, the vibrations we emit so always be conscious of that and respect your audience. You may not be able to see them but they ARE listening.
Near Ramah, NM photo by Laura Hall

I will give you a chance to Pre-Order the new album/CD which is called "Strong Medicine" very soon with incentives and rewards.......stay tuned and check back please.

I have some upcoming shows in June in North Carolina. Please let people you know in those areas know about the shows. Of course if you live in the Chapel Hill area of North Carolina please come yourself and bring lots of friends.

  • June 16, Las Cruces, NM 1PM, Southern NM Pride, Pioneer Park, Downtown Las Cruces
  • JUNE 21-24,   Handpangea near Asheville, NC Gathering of fans, enthusiasts and players of the Pan family of instruments like the Hang, Halo, Bells, SPB, etc.  Randy Granger concert Friday night, June 22nd. at Laughing Waters Retreat Center near Asheville, North Carolina 
  • June 26th  - Covenant Place 103 Culbreth Rd Chapel Hill, NC 27516. 3PM Randy Granger performs for the Summer Bash.  Private show. 
  • JUNE 26 - Carrboro Century Center 100 N. Greensboro St. Carrboro, NC, 7 - 9 PM. www.carrboro.com/centurycenter.html $6. Randy Granger in concert. 
Thank you for reading and for your support. Much peace and prosperity to you always. Be sure and "Like" me as they say on FaceBook.
Randy

Live performance from a recent show.
Enjoy

No comments: