Randy Granger

Randy Granger
In the Chihuahuan Desert near the Organ Mountains, New Mexico

Saturday, August 11, 2012

What is a successful tour?


Greetings and happy Summer folks. I found it hard to believe my last post in around June 23. Since that post I've been to North Carolina to perform and all the states in between. Also I've been to the International Native American and World Flute Association's convention as well as The World of Faeries Festival and back. Making two trips to the upper midwest was a challenge to say the least. I felt I had to get back and work on my album, plus I had no scheduled gigs at this time. Slowly working on booking more gigs in between festivals. The album Strong Medicine is my priority at the moment, however, I need to work i.e., gigs, festivals, performances and merch sales are how I earn an income. While the CD project successfully funded through Kickstarter, that money is sitting in the Amazon account and will cover the cost of the CD production only.

So what makes a tour or other gig a success? People ask if I break even on this long-distance gigs? I don't feel it necessary to share that with people but suffice to say I couldn't be doing what I do if I didn't break even or make some profit. I have bills, insurance etc. like anyone else. Difference is I am doing it alone with no help, health care, sick leave like other's benefit from being employed. When I'm driving I am all too hyper aware that at any moment another car could change lanes, stop suddenly, be distracted or a huge Deer could jump into my path and that's all she wrote. That thought alone can make for a stressful drive that leaves no wonder why I am so exhausted most times after driving 3000 miles round trip for a tour. I drive alone and sleep at state parks, campgrounds or crash on people's extra beds or couches. THIS, my friends, is how me and many many many an independent musician does it. It is scary at times but also full of freedom and often really beautiful, unexpected joys. 

As I travel the back roads of this country and meet so many people living their own lives I feel so privileged and fortunate to do what I do. I try as much as I can to focus on what is good about it. Unless you've lived it though you simply can't be truly aware of the challenges and sacrifice it takes to do it year after year. It takes a special passion and a sense of being compelled which is something other musicians tell me they also feel. These tours were a success for me because I did the best job I could possibly do on that day. I brought my music to many strangers who I hope are now fans. I connected with other musicians as peers and we sat in on each other's sets and traded CD's. I connected with people who were fans and are now my dearest friends. I got to see how beautiful our country is from the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma where Bison, Elk and other creatures roam the park to the mountains outside of Asheville, NC and camp in the Ozarks where I played a private concert under the milky way lit by battery operated christmas lights and a roaring hard-wood fire. It was magical! All of it. That, for me is a success. I made people happy, dance and smile. The heartfelt comments I get from people who take the time to tell me about their experience is priceless like this comment from a woman who, although recovering from surgery, made it a point to bring her family to come here me at the Fairy Festival, "Randy, so good to see you at the Fairy Fest this year...I always love your soothing and beautiful music. It made me smile that [my family] enjoyed your music and just relaxed and took in your amazing spirit. I hope you know how many souls you touch through your loving, heartfelt songs and your beautiful kind soul. Look forward to seeing you next year and much love and peace to you.

Comments like that I may not be able to cash at the bank but I bank them in my spirit to give me strength and inspiration. I led a workshop at this year's INAFA convention and offered private lessons as well as an afternoon performance and played in the Performer's Jam closing concert Saturday night with musician's like R. Carlos Nakai, Peter Phippen,  Xavier Quijas Yxayotl's,  Amir Abbas Etemadzadeh and my friend's Cornell Kinderknecht and Rick Dunlap, Joe Young and others. What a pure delight. To me that is success. But all that aside. A woman who had been in my workshop and heard my concert came by my table. She said she knew she was destined to learn a major life lesson regarding a decision she had coming up. She said, "Watching and hearing you I figured out what that lesson is. It is embodied through you the way you are so authentic, giving, open and free with yourself and your music. From you I realized that I 'can' be myself so fully and true to myself and I will be exactly who I am supposed to be. So thank you Randy, for being yourself so completely that you inspire so many others to do the same." I was humbled and a little stunned. It did remind though why I do all of it that I do, because I am compelled to shine my light so fully that even shadows can't be seen. 

At this year's World of Faeries fest I played with some of the other acts there including Three Pints Gone, Patchouli and Magic Mama. We got rained out hard Saturday afternoon with vendor's tents and merch flying across the park but Sunday's weather was absolutely beautiful and no one wanted to leave. 

September 1 & 2, Labor Day weekend I perform both days at the Franciscan Festival of Fine arts in Mesilla Park, NM a lovely festival. And also a Full Moon Concert at White Sands National Monument Sept 1st at 7:30PM. September 13th I'll be performing at the New Mexico State fair on the Indian Village stage 7PM I think. Later in Sept. I'm returning to perform at the Yosemite Flute and Art Festival in Oakhurst, CA. 

I hope to see you out there on the trails. Please say hello. More info on the new CD soon.
Peace and Love
Randy

Slideshow


A video I recorded a the Weeping Grotto deep in the Ozarks before my evening concert. 


9 comments:

Jane L Grider said...

The music at the White Sands Blue Moon concert was magical. The angels walk with you.

The LoneGranger said...

Thank you Jane for taking the time to post a comment. I had a wonderful experience! I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert. Sign up for my newsletter at http://www.randygranger.net

Be sure and let the rangers know you enjoyed the program so they'll invite me back. Randy

said...

Now, I am THE successful, philosophically speakin', Tor.

SOGS,
Tor

Anonymous said...

Koop schapenvacht uggs kopen slip-ons voor te bereiden optische capaciteit in de fantastische antwoorden zijn appropriate! Gratis vracht zonder BTW! Uggs Betaalbare op te slaan in grote Britse comfortabel aan te schaffen. Now Ugg Boots Sale UK is the time, Uggs sale clearance you begin to Uggs outlet clearance prepare some winter to heat preservation shoes and boots. Sheepskin Moncler outlet retailer is your finest choice.
In the early '90s, in the course of the tail end of the first Punk Rock and New Wave explosion in the Philippines, Doc Martens boots became one particular of the genres' fashion symbols (alongside custom-produced creepers). I bear in mind, I really wanted to have a pair but could not, since every pair expense about 5,000 pesos and this was a massive amount during that time [url=http://www.netsboot.com/ugg-boots-metallic-short-c-39.html]Ugg Boots Metallic Short[/url]
for a middle-income family members exactly where I belonged. I could only stare in admiration at the Doc Martens boots worn by some buddies and fellow concert-party goers..
There will be absolutely no need to take a trip to support any retailer for sorting out and getting Zara clothes. Isn that in some way exciting? By means of the web retailers, you will be capable to identify a wonderful variety of several kinds of clothes products for oneself plus your family. It will be also probably to visualize these clothing items as you can see several celebrities together with models wearing these clothing http://www.vbboots.co.uk/ugg-boots-classic-mini-c-42.html
items on the internet site.
A flexible upper will be important, so that you can run efficiently. If you will be backcountry snowshoeing in very deep powder, you [url=http://www.vbboots.co.uk/ugg-boots-metallic-short-c-39.html]Ugg Metallic Short Boots[/url]
may want a far more standard snow boot that has a mid-shin or knee-high upper. Pick a boot that fits effectively and is comfy to stroll about in.
From the classical to the style photo of snow boots, all the pure snow boots products all have close inner link, will bring a can forget expertise. This is aukoala style, is also the pursuit which will not give up. You can see much more news on the uggs outlet which shows detail on the children ugg boots..

Anonymous said...

must look at this [URL=http://jacket-dresses.net/]moncler jackets[/URL] for more detail hpBFMqML [URL=http://jacket-dresses.net/ ] http://jacket-dresses.net/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

you definitely love [URL=http://e--store.com/]coach outlets[/URL] , for special offer deIezqtR [URL=http://e--store.com/ ] http://e--store.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

check this link, OTWJIVXu [URL=http://www.camera--lenses.com/]canon ef 75-300mm iii lens[/URL] for promotion code wBvGShRL [URL=http://www.camera--lenses.com/ ] http://www.camera--lenses.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

xEqd GHD Australia
tZhz nfl jerseys china
iAzs ugg online
7yAll ghd nz
8xMhp ghd mini styler

Anonymous said...

sRjx cheap ghd australia
nDna ugg boots sale uk
dSek michael kors purse
3nNkh ugg sale
1vVxu chi straightener
3dWon ghd hair straightener
3rFnt wholesale nfl jerseys
8pUns ghd
0vHbs north face outlet
6yGtx ugg españa
4lAzf purple ghd straighteners
9dUix michael kors outlet
9dGks nfl jerseys
7bBof ghd
7tGve cheap ugg boots