Randy Granger

Randy Granger
In the Chihuahuan Desert near the Organ Mountains, New Mexico

Friday, February 10, 2012

Feeling the Love in February



Concert at Branigan Cultural Center Feb. 3, 2012

February is the month of Love as they say. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and happy. Here in Las Cruces, NM where I live we have a month-long celebration called “For the Love of Arts” when our dynamic arts are in full tilt. All mediums of art, poetry, sculpture, fabric etc. are on walls of restaurants and galleries and events happen almost daily. It was my honor to be asked to perform a concert for the kick off. The first Friday of each month we have a downtown arts ramble where our entire downtown area, where a plethora of galleries and theater’s are, organize opening exhibits, musicians, food, wine everything you need to enjoy art. I was the main attraction at the Branigan Cultural Center and the people were out in force. It was so much fun and so enjoyable to play. Two younger boys joined me on stage as fans oblivious to the hundreds of people listening in their seats or milling about enjoying the art. Enthusiasm is always welcome I say!

In conjunction our local weekly paper The Las Cruces Bulletin ran a feature story “Making music of life and loss” on my in the arts section at page C004. It was a nice story and I appreciated the coverage. Last week I was contacted by our PBS Television station, KRWG-TV, about filming a half-hour piece about me and my music in the style of Austin City Limits or similar. Of course the taping is this Thursday so not much notice but I’ll crunch it out and do what it takes. I’m grateful. I’ll have a nice piece of film to help me get gigs. And that is what it is about really. As musicians we compete for people’s attention against the slew of media, social media, iPads, Kindles etc. How to stand out is a daily question. It is never about ego but getting your music to as many people as possible because, isn’t the goal of art? Making a living is a pretty serious goal these days for me so if I sell a few more cd’s, get a few more bookings then I’m making progress—doing something right.

This Sunday, Feb. 12th I’ll be performing special music at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Albuquerque, UUABQ for short. Services are 9:30 am and 11:00am, 3701 Carlisle Blvd NE in Albuquerque. Website is http://UUABQ.org. I enjoy performing here as they crowds are large and enthusiastic and the message is always thought provoking for me. I’ll be performing special music before and during the services on Native American flute, Hang and vocals. Come out and say hello.

Next weekend I’m a guest artist at the Moab Flute Festival in Moab Utah Feb. 17-19. Evening concerts are at 7:00 Saturday and Sunday nights at the Moab Arts and Rec Center, 111 East 100 North, Moab, UT http://www.moabmarc.com/marc/. $10 covers for both nights. In the lineup, as far as I know, will be myself, Steve Rushingwood, Wounded Healer, Nino Reyes and others. Moab is breathtakingly beautiful and next to the Arches National Park. Here is a short synopsis: Friday night Meet and Greet at the Archway Inn fire pit @7:00pm. Saturday 10:00am gather at Moonflower Canyon for opening ceremony. Following will be an Echo Hunt into private canyon. Indoor concerts at the MARC at 7:00pm Saturday and Sunday nights. $10 covers both nights’ concerts. Sunday 10:00am Rim-Blown flute workshop with Frank Harter. Sunday field trip to Corona Arch followed by evening concert.
Visit their Facebook page for more info at Echo Hunters Association or type in Moab Flute Festival.

Last weekend filmmaker David Salcido and another friend filmed footage for my new video for “I Am the Mountain Within” from Pura Vida. It was a blast if not a little chilly in a kilt and thin tight shirt. Here is a photo from that day. It is so nice working with others to get your music out there and get their creative input as well. It should be out in a month. Watch my YouTube channel. 
Much love, music and peace.
Randy

No comments: