Randy Granger

Randy Granger
In the Chihuahuan Desert near the Organ Mountains, New Mexico

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Utah Bound - Sundance Here I Come

Top Music blogs
Happy New Year everyone. I hope peace and contentment enfold you every day of the year. It’s been a busy start for me and my Blogging is slacking along with my belly from too much holiday Tamales, wine and general indulgence. But I’m doing something about it. I’m leaving today to play five shows at during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. Brrrr. One of the venues is the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center Theater. Cool.

I was talking to the promoter who booked me and he was saying not to expect people to be to attentive when I play at the two Bars on Main street. He was saying people are there to schmooze and deal more than listen to the musicians. In fact, he said, he heard Riki Lee Jones at the same venue and she had to tell the crowd to please shut up. I thought well at list I’m being ignored by a higher class of people. Hey I’m moving on up. Truthfully it doesn’t bother me in the least. Last year 45,056 people attended Sundance film festival many of them the richest and most powerful people in the Biz. This year playing at the same time I am at the ASCAP Music CafĂ© (and why wasn’t I included in that?) is John Rzeznik and the Gin Blossoms. Damien Rice and Wynona are also performing. Woody Harrelson and Josh Brolin are doing a live panel/performance thing across the street and Robert Redford has his Sundance Resort just down the road.

I’m not one for celebrity watching and have met my share but promise to get photos if I can to post. The “cheapest” room I found in Park City was about $190.00 a night. Yikes! I’m staying in Salt Lake and driving back and forth. By all accounts there is NO parking in Park City…..ironic huh? You have to park at designated, cash only, lots and take the shuttle into the town. I’ll be lugging two Hang drums, a case of Flutes and a backpack full of CD’s around sloshing through the snow. Isn’t my life glamorous?

I look forward to bringing my style of Southwest Americana Peaceful music and touching that part of people that is the silent sentinel. Imagine my Hang ringing out into that snow filled air and flutes connecting with the ancient ancestors who once roamed that land. Yeah. I know something good always comes out of every performance so I’m not concerned at all. I’m gratefully at a place in my life where I’m actually content with who I am and what I do. I feel nothing need be enhanced or diminished. It has taken a lot of work to get here and I hope you can feel some of that contentment in whatever you do. The ambition, politicking and whispered lobbying I’ve seen musicians do is not for me. Making a living at making people happy or peaceful is enough for me and funny enough as soon as I relaxed into that, opportunities are presenting themselves without effort. Whew. Talk about the law of attraction eh?

The real goal for me is to; of course, get my music placed in films. I love love love independent film and have done some film work with my music but am excited and look forward to seeing my name on the credits of a film debuting at Sundance, or Cannes and more. One of my songs “Chaco Moon Meditation” is on a compilation CD that is being passed out to all the registered attendees so I’m happy about that. I’m grateful for these exotic instruments that help me to express something unique. Well it’s a 13 hour drive so I better get on the road. I’ve downloaded a bunch of free Podcasts on iTunes so I’m ready….

Be Well
Randy

No comments: